prior/next sign prior/next sign prior/next sign
'Owing, perhaps, to the unusual times' (as Vice President Emily Hutchings so aptly put it), this was a quiet decade for the Association, with few visitors to the Historical Room. With gas rationing in effect until 1945, driving for pleasure, such as traveling to a social gathering or to view historical items, could result in the loss of one's gas ration card. As for the Association, it spent money on a new steam heating system for the house and little else.

When Adeline Marston took the gavel in 1947, one of her first actions was to call a summer gathering, the first of its kind on record. That meeting marked the beginning of the end for the old log cabin meeting house, as its deteriorated condition had some persons in attendance questioning the 'advisability of rebuilding it.' John Perkins suggested the 'matter be passed over on account of the high cost of building.' Perkins, a lawyer and a judge, had recently finished a term on the Governor's Executive Council. Who was going to disagree with him? The cabin was quietly torn down and removed from the property.

Honorary member Rev. Roland Sawyer championed an Old Home Day to mark the Association's 25th anniversary in 1950. After nearly 20 years, Vina Jones, the widow of founder Ira Jones, resigned as Treasurer and was replaced by Ruth Perkins. Retired teacher Anna May Cole compiled lists of early settlers and gave talks on local history. Custodian Alice Taylor passed away and her duties were assumed by Mr. and Mrs. William Whitehouse. President Marston, the teacher for whom Marston School is named, proposed that the town's history be taught in the grade schools (with special programs offered by the Historical Society, that course is still taught today).

The formality of the past was gradually fading. Women still retained their titles of Mrs. or Miss, but men were generally referred to by name only. Prayers still opened meetings, but the singing of patriotic songs was largely a thing of the past. On one occasion a recording of 'God Bless America' was played and at other meetings there was a salute to the flag. Historians were Annie Marston True (1940-1946) and her daughter Esther True Davis (1946-1950). The Association ended the decade with $3,655 in the Treasury.

War Time Rationing
In 1941 the Office of Price Administration and Civilian Supply was created to control what goods Americans were allowed to buy. When the Japanese halted the flow of Southeast Asian crude rubber to world markets, tires were the first items rationed. They were almost impossible to buy, and it was illegal to own more than five at a time.
The quest for synthetic rubber in 1943 led to the invention of Silly Putty. Six million units were sold in the first year, making it the fastest selling toy in history.
Gasoline rationing started on the East Coast in May 1942 and was extended to the rest of the country by December. Many of Hampton's registrants requested the B-3 card, which provided 57 gallons of gas for 45 days. Gas restrictions did not apply to truck drivers (Class T), politicians, or those deemed 'important' (Class X). There were 125 Class X cards issued in Hampton. Persons caught driving for 'frivolous' reasons could have their gas ration suspended. Car pools were encouraged with posters that read 'When You Ride Alone You Ride With Hitler!'
The number of Hampton residents grew from 2,137 in 1940 to 2,847 in 1950, a 33% increase.
War Time Blackouts
Hampton's first blackout occurred on New Year's Eve 1941. Motorists were told to drive without lights, leading to a few fender benders. One accident sent a local man to the hospital. 'Undoubtedly most everyone would like to know all about our blackout,' an unnamed Civilian Defense officer said. 'We most certainly would be only too glad to pass along all information, but this is war and the Army does not divulge its secrets. Our orders were to blackout east of Route No. 1 and this we did. If it is to be our misfortune to have more of these in the future, all we ask is that you do as well then as you did with this one.'
    Hampton experienced at least six more 'test blackouts' during the war, the last one on April 25, 1944.
'Making Merry Music
for the Masses'
Hal McDonnell performed at the Ashworth Hotel as a child. Later, he and his band played the bandstand from 1925-1936 and 1941-1945. Hal was an 'ebullient and youthful conductor, the effervescent idol of the bobby-soxers. 'On V-J Day, August 14, 1945, the band gave a concert to celebrate the news of Japan's surrender and the end of war. The music 'could hardly be heard over the noise of firecrackers, cheers, and noisemakers.'
The summer Beachcomber newspaper crowned Marilan Eaton of Durham their Miss Cover Girl of 1946, marking the first Miss Hampton Beach beauty contest.