prior/next sign prior/next sign prior/next sign
1990s_banner_topleft2_med.png 1990s_banner_topright2_med.png
The decade began on a sad note for the Society, when long-time officer and member Roland Paige passed away on September 15, 1990. To honor his long years of service, the Society dedicated the Roland W. Paige Military Room and established the Roland W. Paige Fund, with the first year's donations totaling $18,000.

The first issue of the Society's newsletter, Gatherings from the Green, was published in 1992. In 1994 it was voted to change the name Meeting House Green Memorial and Historical Association to the simpler Hampton Historical Society. It was voted to appoint rather than elect the Historian.

The Society began using an 'h' logo based on Hampton's old cattle mark. Under the leadership of Ansell Palmer and with the guidance of professionals, new methods of cataloguing and caring for the historical items were adopted. Heat was installed in the Museum, preparing the way for year-round usage. Computers and Internet access were installed, and the first email between Board members was placed on record in 1999.

Long-time Society members Harold Fernald and Pat Triggs performed hundreds of Living History programs throughout New England, recreating the lives of President and Mrs. Pierce, General Jonathan Moulton, and Goody Cole. With voter approval, the Town and Society completed a land swap to define the Society's boundaries and set aside the Kids Kingdom playground. In 1997 a proposed expansion plan called for the demolition of the '60s Wing, but the project was never carried through.

In 1994 Society members Ansell Palmer and Ben Moore helped form the James House Association to preserve the historic 1723 Benjamin James House, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2002. In large part due to Roland Paige's generous bequest, the Society ended the decade with $52,000 in the Treasury.

Presidents were James K. Hunt (1990-1991), Ansell Palmer (1991-1993), Betty Moore (1993-1995), Susanne Falzone (1995-1997), Arthur Cairo (1997-1999), Paul Corbett (1999-2001).

The rapid rise of the stock market in the 1990s coincided with the commercial growth of the Internet, fueled by the dot-com 'get big fast' strategy of operating at a sustained loss to quickly build market share.

Gov. Stephen Merrill
Hampton-born and raised Stephen Merrill served two terms (1993-1997) as New Hampshire's 77th governor. He was twice selected as the 'most fiscally responsible governor in America.' The photo at left shows Merrill (center) as a Winnacunnet High School thespian in the '60s. Pictured with him are (l-r) Linda Peterson, Tom Boyd, Marilyn McRae, Marcia Raynes, and Billy Barwick. The play was 'Therese.'


Odd Fellows Hall Burns
Odd Fellows is a benevolent aid society first organized in 17th century England. In 1895 the local chapter built their hall near the town center. In 1897 a tower was added to house the large, four-faced clock given to the Town by John T. Brown of Newburyport. In 1990 the building was destroyed by fire, but the clock was saved and eventually restored. A condominium complex now occupies the location.


Trolley Station Demolished
One of the few vestiges of the Exeter, Hampton and Amesbury street railway (1897-1926) was demolished in September 1990. The Historical Society hoped to move the small building to the Museum grounds, but the owners tore it down before it could be saved.


Miss Hampton Beach 50th Anniversary
Jennifer DiDomenico of Hampton Falls was crowned Miss Hampton Beach 1992. An honor student at the University of New Hampshire, she graduated with degrees in Business, Sociology, and Theatre. In 1995 the Beach celebrated the 50th anniversary of the Miss Hampton Beach contest. Crowning the winner was 'Singing Cop' Bill Elliot (c. 1940s) who earned his nickname in the 1930s. As a full-time police officer, he would leave traffic duty in front of the Casino to appear at the beach bandstand in uniform.

By the year 2000, Hampton's population had grown to 14,937 residents.