home tuck
Paintings and Statues
prior/next sign back prior/next sign

Fishing Schooner Mary A Brown
boat painting
Artist Unknown

Print available for purchase in the Museum Store's Print Catalog

The fishing schooner Mary A Brown was wrecked December 19, 1900 with the loss of her captain and five men. The wreck washed ashore at the foot of Haverhill Avenue and could be seen when the sand washed out. Located in the Tuck Museum building.


Hampton Haystacks
hay painting
Artist Unknown

Hay harvested on the marsh was piled high on stakes called staddles to keep it dry at high tide. The large rounded haystacks were a familiar sight on Hampton marshes for over 300 years.

Located in the Tuck Museum building.


Hampton Academy
steeple
Doris Bragg
watercolor on paper

Print available for purchase in the Museum Store's Print Catalog

The Hampton Academy was run as a proprietary school form 1810-1855. This watercolor was copied from an 1852 engraving, published in Dow’s History of Hampton. The Academy was first located on Park Avenue near today’s Tuck Museum. It was moved to Academy Ave in 1883 and torn down in 1940 after the current Hampton Academy was built.

Located in the Tuck Museum building.


cold army

Artist unknown

Hampton was involved in the temperance movement. Dow’s History of Hampton describes a Sons of Temperance Convention in Hampton in 1849. A procession was lead by a brass band to “an oak grove on Mr. Thomas Ward’s estate” where addresses were given and the day ended in fireworks. Nearly 2000 people attended. Painting located in the Tuck Museum building. Below is a detail:

cold army detail

Busts of Edward and Julia Tuck.
E Tuck J Tuck

The Hampton Historical Society roots go back to Edward Tuck’s generous donation in 1925 to the Meeting House Green Memorial and Historical Association. They purchased the Fogg Homestead, built Tuck Hall (forming the Tuck Museum), and landscaped the museum grounds and Founders Park. These busts are located in the Tuck Museum building.