Join us on September 17, at 2 p.m.
for the reopening of the renovated and restored one-room schoolhouse on the Tuck Museum Green at 40 Park Avenue.
The schoolhouse, built in 1855, is the last Hampton one-room "District School House." In the early 1950s, HHS acquired the schoolhouse, which was located on Lafayette Rd, just north of Watson's Lane near the North Hampton town line and moved it to its present location on the Meeting House Green. It was repaired then and again in 2013, when HHS did further work replacing the north wall and the ceiling due to water and animal damage, and the building interior was repainted.
The schoolhouse is now restored with authentic furniture, books, and equipment covering several eras of education in the nineteenth century and showing the educational growth of Hampton since 1750. Included in the schoolhouse are "one" and "two" pupil desks as well as records and pictures of Hampton schools.
This latest renovation was a two-year effort undertaken by members of HHS under the direction of HHS trustee Gary Grashow. The renovation included repairing the structure, restoring the exterior trim, duplicating the original 9 over 6 windows (with authentic Babcock latches), reversing the old siding to preserve the original clapboards and show the old scarf joints, refinishing the floor, adding blackboards, and painting the interior as well as the exterior.
Come and hear Gary Grashow and his crew Ben Moore, Mike Compos (left to right in photo below), and Mike Stiers discuss the renovation process, see some of the artifacts from that process, and watch a presentation of photos inside Tuck Museum that document the entire project from start to finish.
All are welcome and admission is free.
At left, HHS President Lori Cotter receives the keys from Gary Grashow.
Gary Grashow, Ben Moore, Mike Compos